"Hello! Hello Kitty! "


(Photo from Google)

 When I was a kid I only had two toys in mind that I wanted to have. A collectible miniature Voltes V and a Hello Kitty.


Unlike other kids, I am aware that my parents can't afford such. That's why I never asked them to buy any of those. No one among them knew how I wanted so much to have those. I kept it secret because I don't want my parents to feel bad that they couldn't give me what I badly wished I could have knowing that I rarely ask or have any wants at all.

At an early age, I know what poverty is already. 


My parents lived in one of those shabby or shanty, wooden houses where most of our unfortunate fellow Filipinos below poverty line live. We call them "squatters" .


Yes. My parents and I lived in such kind of a place. The house is a small one. It had a second floor. No. We don't own the house. We're just one of the tenants who rented a part of the house. We lived in the second floor. There's also a family renting the lower floor which like ours are considered a studio type room. I could remember vividly the looks of the structure of the house. It's made up of old used-up woods and nails put together. To get to our part of the house, we have to climb up the narrow stairs to the second floor. That's where we sleep, cook food, eat and spend most of our days doing the usual activities. We don't have tv. We only have a small transistor radio. We don't even have any couches nor beds to sleep on. We do have the woven native mats as beds and of course the bed linens and pillows. Yes. We sleep on the floor on the woven native mats.


I, as a child haven't seen any houses of wealthy people at that time. I thought all houses are like that.


I couldn't remember how I came to know that my parents are poor. Neither could I recall how the idea that we are one of those families who are not able to afford much of the more fortunate people are.


Most of my days are spent in the company of children who are wild, barbaric and bully. Yes. I was one of those who were bullied. 


I never fought them. I just accepted the fact that there are bad kids like them. I focus on the thought that I'm a better kid than they are. That I'm more blessed than they are because I have more brains than they do. 😉


My first doll was a dilapidated, worn out plastic given to me by my mother. I don't know where she got it from. Though I can see how worn out my plastic doll was, I held on to it as if it's the best doll ever. I can very well see all the holes on it and deformed parts of it.  I even wondered how it would look like if it were brand new. I was also wondering if all the other children we're usually given such kind of doll or toy. I know that the doll I was given was considered trash to others but to me it is my little treasure. Simply because it was the first toy my Mom gave me.


Years passed. We transferred to my grandma's house. 


This time, I have my sister Joy to play with and we're given each a small, rug doll. The dolls we play with are made of cloth and thick threads. Their cute eyes are embroidered on it's faces. So does the smiling lips they have. They have light brown, thick threads as their hair. Their arms and legs are short. They didn't have any folds or elbows or knees. They have simple dress on them. 


Then, came the fad of Sanrio products. Every where you go they're a big hit on sales. Every kid wanted to have the famous"Hello Kitty" doll and other characters of that popular cartoons. The Gift Gate is the go to if you wanted to purchase the genuine Sanrio products. I love watching the "Hello Kitty" cartoons. I'm most kids are at that time, dream of owning a "Hello Kitty". Since I know that my parents couldn't afford buying me one, I never told them about how I, for the first time wished I had such toy. 


Each time we go to the Ali Mall Department Store in Cubao, I would always go to the Sanrio products section or the Gift Gate store there to look for the "Hello Kitty" and have myself contented with just staring at it and admiring how it's finely crafted.


I even checked out all the other kinds of "Hello Kitty" products. They range from cute, mini dolls, keychains, bags, purse, clocks and others. You name it they got an endless numbers of novelty items made up of " Hello Kitty" design. 


I searched for the best looking "Hello Kitty" doll. I looked at it's tag price and as always it's that expensive.


One time, as I was standing in front of one of the shelves of a variety of Sanrio products, I was staring at the "Hello Kitty" doll which I was planning to buy someday. 


I thought to myself, " When I grew up and have a job, I'd save money to buy one. For sure, I would be able to buy myself this "Hello Kitty". I started to count the years it would take for me to reach that age when I am able to have a salary to afford such doll. I looked at the tag price again, thought about and wondered how many salary before I could purchase one. Then, decided I'm going to buy it someday when I am able, when I already have the money. I imagined myself an adult having a job and able to buy any of my wish list. Then, I smiled to myself and said, "Someday I would. God be willing. I know I would."


It was I believe around in the year 2013 when I remembered about it. 


There were shelves full of " Hello Kitty" plastic candy containers displayed on a section of a department store.


I saw them on my way going to the other side of the mall. I was actually, just passing through the mall like I always do on my way home.


I stopped. Stood in front of the shelves. I looked at the" Hello Kitty" containers.


I recalled how years ago I was staring at a "Hello Kitty" doll in Ali Mall.


I remember I was wishing time would go so fast so that I would grew up quickly and have the money to buy such.


I smiled and said, "Time flies so fast. Here I am in front of these candy containers. Looking at the"Hello Kitty" I was dreaming of having years ago.". 


I realized that a hard-earned money has to be used in more important needs than plain wants. Through the years I've learned to wisely make use of it. I've learned what to prioritize in planning a budget for monthly or daily expenses.


As I stood there in front of the shelves of "Hello Kitty" containers, I wondered, "Here's the day I've been waiting for. I am now able to buy this. Though it's not the novelty doll I was hoping for, still it's a "Hello Kitty". Not a doll but a candy container. " 


I looked at it's tag price. I think it's around more than Php 200 (Two Hundred Philippine  Pesos)


I examined it. I found out it was manufactured in Japan. It was superbly crafted as a collection item. Thus, the price. It contains imported mint candies inside.


I know at that very moment that it's not a priority or something I need to buy.


I have a tight budget to fulfill. There are a lot more important things to use that amount of money for.


So, I decided to just go home and told myself, " "Maybe next time when I have an extra cash for it or when I have more than enough money to spend."


At home, I couldn't get my mind off it.


I was thinking, "it was my dream of owning one. Would it be bad for me to buy one? I know it's impractical but the thought of fulfilling a childhood dream ... To me that is something. It took years. Now, here's my chance. To at least take hold of that one I so desired when I was a kid. Yes. It's a bit pricey but purchasing it would mean everything to me. It would mean so much because it's one of my childhood dreams which I have been given the opportunity to fulfill.


The next day after work, I passed by the same section of the department store. I, again stopped by the same shelves of items. Thought about it, ... And decided, "Yes! I'm going to buy myself this"Hello Kitty" ! Simply because one time, I prayed for this. I owe it to myself being able to experience how it is to be a "child" .  You know that feeling of wanting something when you were a child and you wished there's a real Santa Claus to give you what you're wishing for? I kept on convincing myself, " I would buy that "Hello Kittty" to tell myself, " I did it! I was able to fulfill the promise I made to myself! "


I recalled that very moment I stood in front of a "Hello Kitty" with the thought in mind, " Someday, I would buy one. Someday, ..."


I smiled and told myself, " finally, today is that someday! "


I picked one of the"Hello Kitty" headed the cashier and got myself one!