She Brought Out the Best in Me

I was in Grade V when my teacher inspired me to write and express myself in such a manner.

I can still remember vividly how patient and kind my teacher was in encouraging me.


(photo from Google)

My English teacher called my attention and sat beside me.  She discussed something about the essay I submitted which consists of about five to six statements only.

She started out by saying, "You know Vivien, you could have made this essay even longer. I could see that you're very intelligent.  Can you imagine?  You were able to completely tell your story in just five to six statements. How much more if you would expound on it. It would even be more interesting to read it. Are you getting what I'm trying to tell you?"

I replied, " Yes, Ma'am. But why should I? Why do I need to write longer essays when I could just make short stories that could be easily read in a few minutes? "

I asked her, "Why is there a need for writers to write long stories that end up in thick books?  It's such a waste of time to read long stories when they could have been written into short stories so that people could do a lot of things aside from reading their favorite novels. "

The teacher replied, "It's because a writer would want his or her readers so engaged that they would end up being loyal patronage of the author's works. The more interesting a story is, the more engage the readers are, the more numbers of followers or loyal readers, the more sales, the more books are sold, the more the book becomes a bestseller. When a book becomes a bestseller, the author ends up being a popular writer. Meaning to say that the author is successful in his or her writing and that he or she was able to keep such consistent demand for his or her works. That's why there are a lot of people who are into collecting books of their preferred authors. 

Expounding on a certain story means letting your readers' imagination be carried away and be encompassed with the kind of world you're creating in their minds. To the point of seeing themselves as part of the story or having a vivid picture or movie in their minds of what you are sharing in your story. In doing so, the readers get to understand or experience what the author is trying to visualize through his/her words in his/her novels or written works. "

I smiled and expressed my amazement at such an idea my English teacher have just shared with me.

"I could tell that you're a good writer, Vivien.  I've always dreamed of finding a student like you. I believe that if I teach you how to improve your writing skills, someday in the future, you would end up as one of those best writers.  So, please follow my advice and write your essays or stories in long paragraphs.  Don't limit your stories to a few statements. Expound on your chosen topic. Go run free with your mind.  Tell your story in detail or just freely express yourself, your emotions, and your opinions.

I replied, "Ma'am, I'd like to do that but how? I'm used to writing in short paragraphs? "

The teacher gave the whole class a writing exercise. She then gave me an instruction that this time when I write I would not focus on how many sentences have I already written instead I would focus on how I'm going to share with my readers a story that I would be sharing with a good friend in a conversation through words.

Let's say that you're going to share something that is so memorable to you that happened in your last summer vacation with your best friend.  How are you going to share that through the use of your written words?  Pretend that you're talking with your friend but in the form of written words. Now, for the subject. What is that unforgettable experience you had last summer vacation that you would be so excited to talk about with your friends?

We've got almost an hour to finish writing your story.

Vivien, take your time. I would like to see more than five sentences there okay? If you end up filling the whole pad paper the better. If all your classmates have finished their stories and all papers were on my table, don't rush. I'm going to wait for you until you're done writing your story. Okay? "

I gently smiled and nodded.

Before all my classmates have submitted their works, I was able to finish my ever first long story.

I was able to write a very long story about my experience in visiting our relatives in the province.  I was so engrossed in reminiscing everything that I didn't notice thoughts flow naturally and I end up filling my paper, front and back with words describing the wonderful experience I had in the province.

I checked and read what I just finished writing.  I liked what I wrote.

That was the first time I came to like writing. In fact, I enjoyed it.

I looked at my English teacher grateful for taking her time to encourage me and motivate me to express my thoughts and to never limit the number of sentences I could write in writing my stories.

This blog wouldn't be here if not for my English teacher who believes that I could end up being one of the great writers of all time.


(photo from Google)




To my English Teacher, Mrs. Teresita Clavecillas, 

I would never forget you. Thank you for believing in me. Thank you for seeing my potential to become a good writer. Thank you for taking the time of bringing out the best in me.

Your Grade V Student,
Vivien





(photo from Google)